Saturday 27 July 2013

The Price of Faith (The Ties that Bind 3) Rob J Hayes


The Price of Faith by Rob J. Hayes

Well, it took me just over two days to read the last of the trilogy I have been so enjoying this past week and lets just say, Rob Hayes didn't take the pressure off for one moment. I couldn't read the novel fast enough, here's why.

Once again, the characters really bring the story to life. I was delighted to find out my two favourites from the first novel returned and the changes they'd gone through made them that little bit more interesting. The relationship between the two was made even more real for me when the novel starts with them apart after an argument. Hayes drip feeds the details over the first few chapters, the element kept me reading to find out how they would resolve their differences. I really wanted them to sort it out so they could move on together. I'm not going to tell you the outcome as that would spoil the novel but believe me, it comes as a surprise.

I want to talk about the fight scenes in the novel as well, I haven't mentioned them so far and I feel I should. They are brilliantly written. Not once did I find myself skimming over the words to find out what happened. I read every blood-stained chest-stabbing brutal move and believe me, there are more than a few fights throughout the series. The detail is enough to be a bit gross but not too gruesome that it becomes tedious. Each character has an individual style and this is reflected in the narrative. It is clear a lot of effort has been taken while crafting these scenes and that is something a lot of other authors could learn.

The only down-side to this novel is that it has now ended. As well as the odd spelling error but we'll brush that under the carpet again as the rest of it is so wonderful. I do hope that there are more books forthcoming from Hayes as I am a definite fan and shall add him to the 'to watch' list, along with the likes of Scott Lynch and Douglas Hurlick. My suggestion is to find a copy of these novels and give them a read, they are well worth it.

I also dread the hangover this series is going to give me so I am going to go and read something that is good and of a similar taste to this; Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment