Sunday 4 August 2013

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie



I knew I had to read something amazing coming off the back of the last set of books I read. I know I am going to miss those characters so I decided to go with something I have read before but never reviewed.

I love the characters in The Blade Itself. I remember them being amazing the first time round and the second they are just as well written, if not likable. I had forgotten how arrogant and exactly how much of a whinge-bag the noble character was. It was hard to sympathise with his petty complaints but that didn't mean he was awful to read about. if anything, he highlights the genuine struggle of some of the other characters. The reason I have a lasting appreciation of the swordsman illustrated on the cover there, is his loving the small things that we all take for granted: safety, food, a hot bath. These little things bring a tear to his eye and I found that rather heartwarming - Say one thing of Logan Ninefingers, say he appreciates the small things...

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a book for the faint hearted. The world in which it is set is a cruel broken one; the discarded wrecks of it's folly lie shattered throughout the novel, from the broken inquisitor (my favourite character, more on that next time) to the wreckage of government failings. The world is as flawed as our own and I was shocked to be reminded of how well it has been crafted. The inherent racism within the novel and the ignorance of the nobility that goes with it was well written and there wasn't a time when I was jolted out of the world by a jarring word or someone doing something irregular.

The one thing I will say about the book is that there is not much resolution at the close, there is a little but this really is a set up book for the rest of the trilogy. If you're after a stand alone then this isn't the book for you. That said, I already know how awesome the rest of the novels are and they are worth reading. The language of the book is perfect, its not so simple to be boring yet neither is it complex. Joe Abercombie has found the right balance between character and plot to make this novel a real page turner. I'd recommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment