Monday 5 August 2013

Before They are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie



It seems my ability to consume books has returned seeing how I finished this number in just over a day - I did sleep as well so don't go accusing me of staying up all night to read!





I have mentioned before how much I enjoy Joe Abercrombie's work and the main reason for this is his characterisation. I mentioned a couple before and as promised, here are my thoughts on one of the strongest in the series. I could hardly talk about the series and leave out the grumbling bitter Inquisitor could I? I try to ask myself why I like the character so much. He's sarcastic to the point of scathing and more bitter than sucking on a whole bunch of lemons. If I knew him in the real world, he'd drive me crazy - in the bad way. That said, his internal monologue and jaded view of his world had me laughing out loud and agreeing with some of his opinions. If there is someone who needs to catch a break, its this guy.

Moving on from Sand dan Glokta. World-building! Once again, the depth of detail that Abercrombie goes into with the different parts of his world are fabulous. There is just the right amount to keep the reader interested; I was never bored while I was reading about the ruins some of the characters travel through. I never found an author who could make sand seem interesting and yet, there I was, captivated. The depth of the myths in the novel are brilliant too and they lend a depth to the novel that is missing in so many I have read. The world is a cruel place and this is mirrored in the events that have happened in the past. I don't want to ruin it for you by telling you what happens, I just urge you to go and find out for yourself, it is worth it.

The plot in this part of the trilogy isn't brain busting and isn't going to reinvent the wheel. That said, it isn't exactly predictable either and despite this being a re-read for me, I kept turning the pages (clicking the button) because I needed to know what happened next. Most of the details I have forgotten as I read it over two years back. For it to do this a second time goes it show the staying power of this novel.

I can't say much more than go and find a copy and give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment