Monday 1 July 2013

Den of Thieves - David Chandler

It's good to be reading fantasy novels again. I mean, I have enjoyed my sojourn into the sci fi genre but like all trips, it's good to be home once more. This novel was recommended to me by my other half, who read it and said I would enjoy it. So I gave it a go.

The novel starts in very typical fantasy setting with a very stereotype hero with a magical sword. I had to take a deep breath to prevent the obligatory 'here we go again' thoughts before plodding on with the novel. I was dreading meeting the helpless damsel and the gutless thief - all ancient stars of countless genre novels since the genre began. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The Stereotypes ended there and Chandler puts a very good spin on worn out tropes. The thief is far from gutless, though he does show fear in the face of his challenges. The knight follows his beliefs but he is made out to be living in a story book rather than the real word of the novel. He is mocked, goaded and insulted throughout and believe me when I say he has a lot to learn!

The world building in the novel is thorough and I had no trouble immersing myself into the city in which it is set. I loved the different aspects of the city viewed through the protagonist’s eyes. There is a decent balance between rich, poor and everything that comes in between. It has been well thought out and really comes to life; the city is teeming with life, much like a real living place.

There are only a couple of issues I have with the novel. One is the lack of foreshadowing around a major part of the plot. I won’t spoil it but I feel the author just dropped it in there for shock factor. It was a bit too out of the blue for comfort in my opinion. The other was the telling explanation at the end. I don’t need to be beaten around the head with the answer; I worked it out for myself. A subtler touch would leave the reader a little more satisfied with the ending.

These are minor issues however and do not detract from the novel as a whole. I recommend reading this one for yourselves as it is a beautifully written book. It does have a sequel so I will be looking at that in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment