Thursday 25 July 2013

The Colour of Vengeance (The Ties that Bind Book 2) - Rob J Hayes



I have to say I was really looking forward to getting my teeth into the next book in the trilogy seeing as I loved the first one. It took me about 3 days to read and here are my thoughts:

I couldn't put my kindle down. I couldn't consume this book fast enough it was that good. The second novel follows the story of The Black Thorn, who we should all be familiar with from the first novel. It depicts how he survives by the hand of the very organisation he hates. What follows is a whirlwind of searching across the wilds for the one who 'killed' him in the first place. The novel features some new characters as well as some old ones. The blend of characters is, once again, fantastic. However they are not static carbon cut-outs; there is excellent development and they are all multi-dimensional and intreging. Even the villains, and believe me, they are nasty, all have something they want - they're not bad for being bad's sake which makes you just want to read on and find out where their journey will take them.

The world is as bleak as it is in the first one. Betrayal seemed to come naturally to those inhabiting it and the tough lives the characters lead is reflected in the language spoken. I believe I mentioned this in my first review so won't go on about it again, it works so well for me so I feel I have to give it another salute here. The lives and characters put me in mind of those from Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, another set of books I loved, yet Hayes has made his story his own. I can see the influence yet it is not a rip-off or re-telling.

I do have two criticisms, one is the spelling again, however this does not detract from the read. I was so interested in what was going on that I didn't care that much (which is a big thing coming from me, I usually slate people for this). The other was the lack of mention of the Arbitor and the Blademaster. I was surprised there was no mention of them at all other than the Black Thorn thinks they are dead - which we know is false due to the end of the last novel. I loved those two characters and was sad when they didn't turn up. I have since learned they are in the third novel - awaiting to be read on my kindle - so feel a bit relieved about that, I NEED to know what happened to them!

One again, a fab read from Hayes and I cannot wait for the next one. I am already dreading the book hangover from this set, whatever comes next is going to have to go some to beat it. Thanks Rob Hayes for creating such a wonderful story once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment