Sunday 21 July 2013

The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind) - Rob J Hayes



It was a gamble this novel, a 77p buy from Amazon when I couldn't decide what to go for and nothing on my to read list was screaming at me to be read. I do love reading independent novels but they can be hit and miss as they don't necessarily have the same resources as those books issued from a publishing house. This one is one of the best I have ever read.

The best thing about this novel is the characters. From the moment I started to the very end, I was interested in what happened to all of them. I cared whether they lived or died and what's more, they were not the generic characters found in a fantasy novel. The inquisitor, Thanquil, has the compulsion to steal things in order to calm his nerves. The female fighter has her fair share of quirks, including not wanting to fight and the theif guy seems to always find himself in a fight which is never (always) his fault. The three come together and work towards their goal in an interesting way which is a real delight to read.

The world in which the novel is set is a harsh one, this is reflected in the narrative. I would never recommend this book to under eighteens. It deals with some rough themes and it doesn't skimp on the details or the swearing. Normally this would irritate me in a novel but Hayes makes it work well. The language reflects on the lives of the characters. The ones that swear are the ones who have had a tough time and it works well. Even the sex in the novel is rough and I'm going to be honest, it doesn't skimp on that either. There are times when characters are running naked through the street and instead of seeming silly, it comes across as a reflection of the harsh world they live in.

There are a couple of things that could use improving through the novel and this is the editing for the most part. There are spelling errors and a few clumsy sentances which could easily be solved with another set of editing but this is a minor complaint as I enjoyed the novel that much I hardly noticed. The same goes for the cliche terms that have crept in, the novel is that good I could ignore them!

All in all, this was a great recommendation from Amazon and I am more than pleased with the read. I have already purchased the sequel and have read 20% of it already. This hasn't happened since I read The Dark Tower series, which you all know how much I love. I recommened you go and read this book if you can, its well worth it/

No comments:

Post a Comment