Wednesday 29 May 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness - JJ Abrams and Co




khan-poster

To say I was apprehensive about going to see this film is an understatement. I love Star Trek. I have loved Star Trek for as long as I can remember. Watching it on a Wednesday evening at 6pm on channel 4 was a highlight of the week - I don't care how sad that makes me sound, I loved it and still do. I will also confess now that I have been a Khan fangirl since I saw the film many years ago. I also recall my best friend at the time taunting me over this and my fourteen year old self getting rather embarrassed... This fangirling never died. I have an action figure on my desk and a movie poster on my wall. I'm telling you this so you know what the new film has to live up to.

The first Star Trek film by Abrams was phenomenal but the thought of someone messing about with my all time favourite film made me squirm a bit inside. And you know what? It was all for nothing. Abrams has done a cracking job. The film is different enough for it to fit with the new pantheon but the similarities and parallels between the two are enough to keep raving fans like me happy.

I don't really know where to begin with my praise for the film, seeing how reviewing films is a whole lot different to my usual area of expertise. The script was great, dialogue between that characters flowed well and there is enough one liners to make you laugh without making a farce of it. There is even a point where Kirk tells one of the characters off for too many metaphors - I won't say which but it is a nice link between old and new.

 

The only thing I will mention is that this story isn't going to win any massive awards for individuality and uniqueness. There were parts that my partner and I could guess and knew what would happen next but I found that I didn't care that much. The acting and themes in the story detracted from these small predictability's and it made it a film well worth watching. JJ Abrams, I salute you.

3 comments:

  1. Great review Debbie. It is easily the best film of the year so far and gets me really excited for what’s next to come this summer. Hopefully the adrenaline continues to rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan the Man. I don't normally review films but I felt I had to have my say about this one. I loved it and it needed saying. There were times during this film where I forgot to breath it was that exciting. I only hope more of the same is yet to come!

      Delete
  2. Khhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

    ReplyDelete