Sunday 5 May 2013

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin


 

It's been a while I know! Some major things happened in the real world over the past couple of weeks which has meant I haven't been able to update but at last, things are settling back down and I am ready to commence reviewing once more. My latest read was like stepping back to my uni days. I've not picked up a 'classic' for some time but thought I should read this one.

I found it a delightful read. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would and far more than I ever did when I was reading this sort of thing back at uni. The novel flows well and I found the language wasn't too challenging. As with most classics, it was written over one hundred years ago, which means the language could potential be an issue. This was not the case in this novel. I did have to read a couple of sentences more than once but that is a small price to pay for such a great book.

The best thing about this novel is the insight it gives into the way of life during the nineteenth century. Austin has captured many of the social issues facing those of her class and gender and yet the novel doesn't lose any elements of humour while dealing with these issues. One observation made is still true today - “For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”- this shows Austin was capable of making good observations of those around her and us them to amuse others.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to those interested in nineteenth century history, particularly the social elements. I'll read her other works as well in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment