Sunday 28 October 2012

The Diamond Girls - Jaqueline Wilson



I read this book as it's the one we are going to be looking at as a part of our theme next term in school. No harm in getting a head start and certainly no harm in reviewing it either. It's a bit different to my usual read but that's a good thing!
It is a beautifully written book, perfect for the age group I work with (9-10) the language is very easy yet there are some challenging aspects to the words that will get the kids brains working; good thing, it is school after all!

The story is set on a council estate and follows the Diamond's as they move from one estate to another, detailing he challenges they face from both inside their family and the outside world. The five main characters are very well thought out and indeed thought provoking. I don't think there will be any shortage of questions we can ask the children.Some of the characters you fall in love with in a moment and others you want to slap some sense into. It's great that the characters are so well written you get this reaction from them. It's a credit to Jacqueline's writing skills!

I really enjoyed reading this book and I hope the kids enjoy it next term too I haven't read a book for children for a long time and this one was not a disappointment, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed reading books about relationships, it's well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment