Thursday 25 October 2012

Shoot to Kill - Ben Bridges



This is not a Star Trek novel, although going by the title you may indeed think that. This is another Western novel that I have chewed my way through and I'm going to be honest, really really enjoyed.

Ben Bridges appears to have written more than a handful of westerns, which I was unaware of when I chose this one. Kindle recommended it to me and I gave it a chance, what I found when I got there was good. The book itself is easy to read, fast paced and well written. The fight scenes in particular are just amazing. I read them so fast, I just couldn't wait to find out who lived and who died.

The hero, Carter O'Brien, is your typical western hero, as can be seen on the cover there, however he is beatifully written.Not everything comes easy to him and he doesn't always win a fight! He spends a good deal of his time injured, shot or being beaten up by Mexicans (as every good western hero should). He is engaging for the reader and you care what happens to him enough to overlook his flaws.

The plot for the book starts off seeming like a very basic 'get the evil baddie' affair but Bridges has long mastered the art of twists and this book is no exception! I didn't expect the book to end how it did and that was a welcome surprise. I also liked how the lead character had no love interest in the book to distract him. There was a couple involved along the journey but they were not the focus of the novel, this too was a welcome change.

I really loved Bridges' novel and now know who I can turn to when I feel like endulging in my guilty pleasure next time. If you have a thing for books on the Wild West, I can recommend him to you, its well worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment