Saturday 13 October 2012

Approaching the Dark Age; Orchestra - Matthew Chivers

I'm going to have a tough time doing this book justice as I'm reading it off the back of a series everyone in the world knows I love. Still, I will try to do my best at it.
 Orchestra (Approaching the Dark Age Series)
Orchestra has both good and bad points like most books, I shall start with the good! The story is further developed through the novel and you get to see some genuine progress from the characters. They grow a lot more in this book than the last and I found myself interested in what happened to them. Maledream is no longer the spoilt rude brat he was at the beginning of Resonance and Angelite is a lot less irritating. Even the support characters have changed which is great. Not giving too much away, I think the one who grew the most was Crazy John due to some catastrophic events that happen. Keep an eye on him while your reading, he's worth watching!

The way the characters interact is good too, just like the last book. The squabbles and banter between Maledream and Neveah brings the characters to life. The teasing between them all shows how the relationships between the characters have changed. I hope this continues into the next book.

The world building is also very cleverly done. Chivers has put a lot of thought into this aspect of his writing and it clearly shows while your reading. I love how crystal energies are harnessed and found the 'learning' parts of the book fascinating. I keep wondering whether I should magpie it and do something similar for my own work but that would be cheating right?

OK, the not so good stuff: I know Chivers is dyslexic and for him to create a novel of this length is a true victory, however, saying that, there are more than a few words that are the incorrect one, example: pale and pail, weather and whether. I know its a small thing but it is distracting for a reader. It breaks immersion and lets be honest here, having someone else read through the work would solve this problem.

The next issue, and probably my biggest with the book was the use of other people's phrases. I spotted three in there and they bugged me. 'Make it so' belongs to Picard, 'I love it when a plan comes together' is from the A Team and 'At last we will have revenge' was uttered by Darth Maul. Rather famous lines said by big characters. Maybe it was a shot at intertextuality, I don't know, but I found it jarring.

The last thing I will mention that needs working on is dialogue. Some of it is OK, some of it really does need looking at. People just don't speak to each other that way. Some more clipped words and slang would be great. Although keeping the slang in speech is a must!

And that's your lot. I did enjoy this book despite the issues I found and I think Chivers works very hard to achieve this. It shows in his writing and long may he continue, it's a vast improvement on the first novel and it shows in the virtual pages! Keep it up!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Debbie, I'm glad you took the time out to read the second book, and I'm even more happy that you really enjoyed it :)

    I'll have to admit, I'm a Star Trek geek - so "Make it so" was a Patrick Stewart moment ;) though with the other two you mentioned I had no idea - I can barely remember watching the A-Team and I can't stand (hate) Star Wars (always preferred Star Trek because its more to do with humanity, warp drive, United Federation of Planets, etc - rather than "once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away lol).

    I've recently taken some time out writing my fourth book, I've gone back to Resonance (Orchestra & Echo will get another pass, just to be sure) as I'm currently formatting my novels for Smashwords - so at the same time, I'm going over Resonance again after careful scrutinising and help - so far, 12,000 words have been trimmed from the novel as it nearers completion. Most of this is superficial, two words that mean the same thing, sentences that make no sense are gone or others added.

    I've also worked on some new cover updates for the new series' editions, which will be released sometime early next year - it'll accompany the release of the 4th novel then, hopefully, I can start to finish off the story! I've planned to reach 7 books in the series, then once thats finished, start on a couple of prequals - but that is years away.

    Its taken a long time, but I think I'm slowly getting there with the previous books :)

    Thanks again for taking the time to read Orchestra, I'm really happy it was a better experience than the first - let me know what you think of Echo if you get the time to read it - I'm hoping the 3rd book sets the ultimate pace for the series as thats when things get even more interesting!

    Best wishes,

    Matthew.

    ReplyDelete