Wednesday 17 October 2012

Cast a Dark Shadow - De-ann Black

I felt like reading something different this time. I've read a lot of good fantasy fiction recently and needed a break so have indulged my (not so) best kept secret love affair with westerns. I was hoping this latest ebook would be a decent read but unfortunately it fell somewhere short of the mark.



Like everything, there are good and bad elements to this book. The language was easy to read and I got through it in a couple of days. The story was easy to follow, which after reading a lot of heavy fantasy tales (I'm thinking of The Dark Tower here) it made a welcome change. It was good to read a mystery story. The hero of the book is discovered, unconscious, by a local boy. He is patched up by the local doctor but has lost all this memories, the story follows the hero on a discovery of who he is. Great. It's a fantastic premise and could have been a really good novel.

I'm not going to say anything else about the plot as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I will say I feel that plot won over character in this novel. A lot of the side cast are two dimensional and flat. They seem to play a role in the book but not do anything else after that. It's a real shame as for me, characters make a novel worth reading. The hero is well thought out though and does go a ways to solve this problem.

Luck seems to play too large a part in the book too. The hero(s) are saved from death by luck more than once and after the second time it starts to feel a bit contrived. Everything fits together a bit too well and it broke reader immersion for me. I just found it too much of a coincidence, which never works well in a novel, in my opinion.

All that said, I did enjoy the read and despite its faults, it is an ok book. I'm not sure what to read next so any suggestions you have would be welcome. So long as I can get it on kindle that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment