Tuesday 7 August 2012

Daddys Little Girl - Julia Latchem-Smith

Now, this is completely different to what I 'normally' read. For a start it's not fiction. I'm not sure how to review a book like this as the themes have caused distress and I don't want to belittle the experiences of those involved.

I picked this book up while on holiday and read it in a few hours, the language was easy to follow and the narrative voice of the author suited the serious tale she had to tell. The story itself is interesting, she tells how she was sexually abused by her father - which is awful. It's a tough subject to broach but the author does it in such a way that is sensitive but not graphic. She also tells of her obsessive compulsive mother, who has a problem with cleanliness. I found this part of her story fascinating - how she'd leave her daughter in the car for two hours while she cleaned the weekly shop was such an alien thought to me I found it hard to grasp.

The story tells of the author's growth from an eight year old girl, who was abused for five years, through rebellious teenage years- including a teenage pregnancy, to her quest for justice. It's a painful journey and I don't want to think how much pain it must have taken to walk her path.

I'm always suspicious of people capitalising on abuse stories, there have been more than a few who have done so but this is not the case with this story. Latchem-Smith has published her story to help raise awareness for shunned cases of child abuse in the middle-classes, which is a worthy cause. The book is well worth reading, even if it's not your normal genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment