Sunday 19 August 2012

Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

I've had a few misses lately with my choice of books, so when my kindle recommended this one I was a bit dubious. What a surprise this book turned out to be, from the first page the dark tone was set and carried throughout the rest of the novel.

The world building in the novel is subtle and puts me in mind of Paul Hoffman's The Left Hand of God, without being so obvious, Lawrence doesn't name any places after pies for instance but draws heavily on the religion of 'Roma' and the dead languages of this world. At least those are the two things that stuck out the most to me. He did it in a tasteful way and it doesn't detract the reader from the story, which is brilliant.

Technically, this book is a real change from my usual reads as well, it is written from a first person point of view. Everything you read about it seen through the eyes of the 'protagonist' and I use that word loosely in this case. There are no long winded descriptions as most things he comes across he has seen before, a brief sentence here and there is all that's needed and it works well. The reader is left to fill in the blanks, making this book a work of your imagination as well as the author's. I don't like to be spoon-fed details so this was a real treat to read.

The characters in the novel are dark, the whole outlook of the book is bleak, and the people populating it are no exception. It was hard to find a sympathetic ground with them to start with but as the story progresses and you learn the reasons why, it becomes easier. I was not altogether at ease with the 'means to an end' justification for the protagonist's actions but you can't love them all right?

All in all, this book was a superb read, I chewed through it in a few hours and I'd recommend you go and do the same. The language is easy to follow and the story well worth the attention!


No comments:

Post a Comment