Wednesday 29 August 2012

Complete Works - H P Lovecraft

I needed to read something different. I've read a couple of really good books lately and to read another novel in the same genre would be unfair. I've wanted to read some Lovecraft to see what all the fuss was about and now seemed like a good time to do so.

I must indicate before I review the short stories that they cannot really be judged by modern standards, written between the late 1910's to 20's the language is vastly different to what we read now. Writing conventions were different and subject handling has also altered. to apply my modern standards onto a book written nearly one hundred years ago would be unfair.

At first, I struggled with the language of the short stories, some of which is rather archaic. The sentence length is typical of the writing period: long, which makes them difficult to fathom at times. It took a while to readjust to reading them but once I managed it, the language was indeed beautiful and a pleasure to read. It just took a bit more effort than normal.

The subject matter of the short stories seems to focus on several themes: dreams and the paranormal. The ends of the stories are left ambiguous and the reader has to make up their own mind as to what has happened. The narratives are generally first person accounts of events that have happened to the narrator; who ha a desire to pass on their account of what has happened. It made a refreshing change from the norm and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I have some of the stories left to read but there themes will be similar to those I've already read and I know I will enjoy them. I hope you'll give these stories as go, once you get your head around the archaisms, its well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment