Monday 2 July 2012

Song of Susannah - Stephen King

I have one major major issue with this book.

What author, in their right mind, puts themself as a pivotal figure, in thier own book? Seriously! This is the biggest ego trip I have ever had the displeasure to read. The longer the story went on, the more I was outraged. I can't believe King had the audacity to stick himself in one of his own books. I write myself, as some of you will know, and feel that King broke on of the cardinal rules of writing. Who knows themself so well that they are able to portray themself accuratly in fiction without making themself look vain-glorious and self obsessed? Although King writes himself as a normal average guy, it still verges on ridiculous and it most definitely did not sit well with me.

This major flaw aside, I once again enjoyed reading the story of the gunslinger and his pals. The pace, which was a bit slack in Wolves picks up again, returning to the break-neck speed I so enjoyed about the last four novels. The companions draw closer to the tower and thier end goal and the sense of threat is present throughout the novel. We learn more about the characters as we read through the novel and I am under no illusion that there is still much to be learned. The journey is by no means over.

I only have one left in the Dark Tower series and I am very much looking forward to finding out how it all ends. I have been forewarned by those I live with that I won't be happy with it so am also a little anxious. It may well be I have to be alone when I read it but rest assured, there will be a post about it, for better or worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment