Saturday 14 July 2012

The Dark Tower - Stephen King

It's been one hell of a ride but today I came to the end of Roland's journey. I finally finished Stephen King's epic fantasy tale and what can I say? I loved it.

The writing has been fantastic throughout and the story has kept me guessing too. It twists and turns in directions that you don't expect, as it has done all through the long series. The characters develop through the story, never staying the same but learning from their journey.

I will touch on the ending of the book. I was warned by my partner that it was infuriating and it made him fall out with the series. I thought the exact opposite of this; the ending is subtly explained through the book if one knows where to look. Let's be honest, if you've come this far, you know that King puts subtle hints about the coming plot in his writing. It's just a case of being awake enough to spot them. I'd rave about it endlessly but I don't want to give it away so I'll stop there!

My only regret about this series is reading it in one massive session, I would advise future readers to have a break around book four, not because the next books are rubbish (far from it) but spending that much time with the same characters will drive you a bit bonkers. Just like spending an extended amount of time with the same people will drive you mad.

Either way, go and read these books, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment