Sunday 17 March 2013

The Iron Man - Ted Hughes


 

It hasn't taken me that long to finish my latest read, partly because it is a children's story that I am looking at next term and partly because it is such an enjoyable tale.

It is a well known story and it has been around for a long time, first published in 1968, it has been read by many children at school. Even I can remember doing this story when I was in primary school and I hope to be able to recreate some of the fond memories with the children I will be working with.

This is a wonderful story. The plot is simplistic and easy to follow yet loses no enjoyability in this account. It has been hailed by some as a modern day fairy story and I agree with this description. The tale follows the formula for this genre. I don't want to divulge too many plot details as I want readers to go out and try this book but I will say that the growing friendship between a boy and a giant metal man is touching.

Another thing I really loved about this book was the rich description I found. It was beautiful to read and Hughes had a truly unique voice. The book will appeal to both the boys and girls in my group as it is aimed at children and every word Hughes has written shows this. The scenes are vivid without the language being to weighty. The pacing is spot on too, no point is over or underwritten, no word is dead weight in the novel, which makes a welcome change from some books I have read in the past!

The characters in the novel are also well thought out, simple yet balanced. They young boy who befriends the Iron Man will be easy for children to relate to and even the Iron Man himself comes across as a misunderstand giant who is just after something to eat!

I don't really have any criticisms of this novel as its one I grew up loving and one I was too happy to re-read as an adult. I hope the kids I work with will enjoy it as much as I did and still do and that they will attach good memories to it as well. I can only try my best to help them get the most out of it too. If you have never read this story, I would suggest you do so, it is a wonderful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment