Friday 15 March 2013

Post Captain - Patrick O'Brian



The next in the Aubrey/Maturin series is Post Captain, the book I have just read. I enjoyed the first one so much I thought I would launch straight into the next without a break to see if it was as good.

It was. The story begins with our two heroes being on land and living in a rather well to do state, country cottage, fox hunting and all the other joys of being rich in the 19th Century brings. The pair soon find themselves in a spot of bother which leaves the fleeing the country to avoid being thrown into prison. While in France, war is declared and their escape into Spain is none other than comical, yet expertly written and a credit to the author. The story is woven together and flows very well. We also learn a great deal more about the two characters and their relationship develops over the course of the novel. It doesn't always do so well, they almost come to blows over a matter, which I shall not divulge here - you'll have to read it yourselves, but are able to move on from it nonetheless. In fact, the ability to argue gives credibility to the characters, making them seem more realistic. We all fall out about the smallest of things don't we!

There are some downsides to the story however, aside from needing a working knowledge of sailing ships, or a nearby smartphone to look up unknown terms. The narrative, although excellently written, can be a little hard to follow at times. It tends to jump at times which can leave the reader from wondering what happened. It's not small jumps either, one moment you could be sailing on a ship, the next in a hall listening to classical music, its a bit confusing but thankfully it doesn't happen too often.
The ending was also an issue for me. It left the novel with an unfinished feel to it and although I know there are many more in the series, I would like some more closure than I was given. Maybe that's just me being picky, I'm not sure. The books have been around for a long while and have had flying reviews so maybe it is. Still, it was a point I felt I should mention. I'll read the next one soon, however I have some more I need to read for school. Next review will be Ted Hughes The Iron Man, a book I remember fondly from childhood, so looking forward to reading that!



No comments:

Post a Comment