Tuesday 3 April 2012

D H Lawrence, Lady Chatterley's Lover

We all like forbidden things right? Speaking for myself, tell me I can't have something and I so want it. The same applied to banned books. Why were they banned? What is all the fuss about? What was so shocking about the book that it was restricted from common view?

This is what prompted me to read this book, written in the 1920's I can see why the material inside could be considered illicit. In fact it still could be, having said that though, by modern standards, it isn't as graphic or sordid as some of the other erotic romances I have read.

The language used when describing body parts is basic, there's no cock splattered across the page and it's ability to shock the reader has passed along with the time when it was written. Having said that, there is some beautifully crafted scenes in this book and they are a wonder to read. Lawrence's ability for the poetic really shows in this book and for this reason, but not only this reason, I would recommend you read it.

After the initial outcry of the sordidity of the book, and once you look past the sex scenes, there is a very pointed comment about the society Lawrence lived in. There are some very good points about the state of economy during the period between the two wars, as well as the changing attitudes of generations. The characters are very real as well, their insecurities and observations of the gender differences is easy to relate to, as is observed,  “A woman has to live her life, or live to repent not having lived it.” and what can be more true?

This was a really enjoyable read and I would suggest you add it to your 'to read' list!

No comments:

Post a Comment