Sunday 25 March 2012

Bram Stoker: Dracula

I thought I'd review something different. It was free on kindle and I currently have about a pound to my name so I had nothing to lose.

I'll start by saying this book is well worth a read, despite some short comings. The action scenes in the book really get you turning the pages and at those points, I was unable to put the book down. Unfortunately, these points are few and far between. The main characters, Mr and Mrs Harker, John, Quincey, Arther and of course Van Helsing, are all rather good at congratulating each other and issuing rallying speeches but rather bad at actually doing anything. I couldn't help bring to my mind the words of a song by Elvis - A little Less Conversation (A Little More Action Please). If you cut out all the talking, it would be a better read.

Some of the side characters, like Renfield(the lunatic) and Mr Swales being a well need comic value to the book, but they are far from flat, they also have a serious side and add value to the novel rather than detract from the point.

Lets understand though, that this is a classic novel, written over 100 years ago, for a very different audience, it touches on many contemporary themes and is enlightening in the way it shows social roles throughout. It is also the novel that defined the modern Vampire, and although that is something I don't have much time for, it was an enjoyable read and should be on everyone's 'to read' list.

No comments:

Post a Comment