Friday 14 December 2012

Mr Stink - David Walliams


 

I had to read this book as its the one we are going to be studying next term, as apposed to The Diamond Girls by Jacqueline Wilson. I was surprised to get the note about it but was happy to pick up an actual book and read it in two hours, much to the disgust of my colleague. (I informed him fast reading was my super power which made this OK)

I enjoyed this novel and think it will appeal to a wider audience than the Jacqueline Wilson one - mainly the boys as it is less 'girly'. The characters are just as good, certainly more likable and easier to bond with. The two main characters are surrounded by a rich support cast and the way they interact is wonderfully close to reality. Add to that the brilliant narrative voice of Walliams and you've got a winning novel.


The reason I feel this book will appeal to both boys and girls is that both the two protagonists, Mr Stink and Chloe, are easy to sympathise with. I am sure the girls will be able to put themselves in Chloe's place and so will the boys. She is far from perfect but has a good heart, she has family issues and its a joy to watch the resolution of these towards the end of the novel. There are also characters you love to hate and I hope literacy next term will be enjoyable.

The  use of humour in the novel works particularly well, I found parts of the narrative laugh out loud funny and it made me glad I was reading this from the comfort of my living room rather than anywhere public. I can't really praise the book enough, my only hope is that the children enjoy it as much as I have. I couldn't put the book down and as such, read it in a couple of hours. I'd advise anyone to give this book a go, its well worth it


No comments:

Post a Comment