Tuesday 27 November 2012

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch


 

This is a review of a book I read some time ago. I don't feel bad reviewing it after the event as the book is so good that I can recommend it despite it being a while ago.

The characters make this story as good as it is in my opinion. The protagonist is every aspect of your archetype rogue/thief type without being a stereotype. There is enough mystery in him to keep you guessing and he starts off surrounded with a rather unique gang. It's a small gang and they all have their individual quirks. They are all different and have been well thought out. None of them are perfect and they all have flaws, including our 'hero'. I'm not going to tell you what they are, just that they get our gang into a lot of trouble along the way.

There are many twists and turns throughout the plot of this novel and it keeps you guessing. It is a real credit to Scott Lynch's skill as a writer and some of the language is beautiful to read. It is also wonderful in its simplicity; at no point did I feel the plot was too complex or hard to follow, it made the novel a joy to read. The narrative structure of the novel can be a bit distracting but when you realize how they're used at the end, you'll have nothing but praise for Lynch, trust me on this one!

I cannot finish the review without touching on the aspect of world building in the novel either. It's so well thought out and cleverly done that I would encourage all authors - new and old - to give this book a read, you'll be amazed at what you could learn. The novel is set in the city of Camorr, which is reminiscent of Venice, and its the small details that really embed the reader in the text. The different quarters of the city and the mix of the mundane with the fantastic make this book truly worth reading.

All I can say is that this is a brilliant read and you should give it a go. Scott Lynch has written a sequal, which I need to read again before I review - it involves pirates - and should get to work on the third installment, so I can spread the word about how awesome he is! Go and read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment