Friday 7 September 2012

The First time: True Stories of Virginity Lost and Found - Kate Munro

This book was offered to me via email from Amazon, I get them monthly and usually ignore them as they deserve but this one caught my eye. It's true stories of people's first sexual experiences. Maybe I was attracted to it because I'm nosy, a trait inherited from my mother! Nevertheless, my interest was piqued so I gave it a go.

Munro has collected stories from all walks of life, the stories are captivating. It is a subject everyone has an opinion on and Munro doesn't skimp on expressing those of the people she interviews. It was interesting to see the aspects of social history involved and how attitudes towards sex have changed over the last one hundred years. I enjoyed learning of people's different experiences of thier first time and reading of their different attitudes towards the event. A lot of emphasis was placed on the spiritual journey too and how one single event can shape the whole of an individual's life. I both agreed and disagreed with this but to be able to have such thoughts provoked by a text was a wonderful reading experience.

It was lovely to read the opinions of those much older than myself. To hear the stories of men and women in thier 70's, 80's and even 90's was a delight. Thier attitudes at the time were so different to my own it seemed so alien. The stories come from the spectrum of the world, from Muslim to Christian, men and women are both included, the experiences good and bad. Munro expresses that she has many stories that are not included in the book and I'd like to be able to read some more tales.

Although this book was written like an essay, I found it easy to read, unlike some of the books I read at university. The language flowed and I read this book in a matter of days. This is a quick review and I hope I can do the book justice. It made a great change to read a non fiction book and what started out as a nosy curiosity turned into a genuine good read. Give it a go, it really is a thought provoking book.

No comments:

Post a Comment