Thursday 27 September 2012

Star Trek: TNG: Klingon Empire: A burning House - Keith R A DeCandido

I fancied something different and as many of you who know me are aware, I am a fan of Star Trek. Reading a novel about the Klingon's was a good choice.

I loved the novel, it was fun in every way. I'll start with the technicalities. There were no spelling errors, the pacing of the individual stories was perfect, it kept me gripped and interested throughout and I even enjoyed reading the Klingon language that peppered the book.

The story follows the crew of the ship Gorkon while they are on leave as the ship is repaired. Once I got used to the individuals names - there are a lot of names starting with K - I found the stories captivating. The characters are all different and the way they interact is beautifully written. All the stories are different and interwoven expertly with each other, keeping the reader wanting to know more... there were a few late nights reading with this book that's for sure.

The novel brought in some old familiar faces, Worf for instance, but I don't think the book needed to refer to a familiar character. The story with him in was good, don't get me wrong, but his presence wasn't needed.

All in all this was a good read and I'd recommend it to those who are familiar with the Star Trek universe. I was a welcome break from some of the other things I have been reading recently that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment