Wednesday 20 February 2013

Room 13 - Robert Swindells


This is the book I am looking at this half term with my guided reading group at school. I was given it to read over half term and I must say I enjoyed every word on the page. I tried to keep in mind that this is a story aimed at children while reading and found there was so much I discuss with my group.



The heroine of the book is a young girl named Fliss. She is about to embark on a school trip to Whitby for a 5 day stay. This is something I am doing during the summer term (albeit for a weekend rather than a week) so found it very easy to relate to. I understood her nerves about being away from home for the first time and will no doubt have to help several children cope with this too. She is the rough age of the group I work with and hope they will be able to identify with her too. Fliss is a balanced, well rounded character who's fears and hopes come through in an easy way. She has been expertly written and is supported by a group of characters who are as full as she is.
The plot itself is interesting and I found I wanted to know what happened next from the first page. It is a mild horror, which plays on popular superstitions about the number 13 and references the well known novel Dracula. Young boys in the story use Dracula to terrify the heroine and her friends in a comically typical boyish fashion. The pace of the plot is good and will be suitable for my group to follow without being too much. The plot is horror enough to keep the boys interested as well and anything that gets boys interested in reading is a winner in my book!
Swindell makes great use of language in the novel, it is easy to follow and yet will be enough of a challenge for my ten year olds. It will force them to look up words in a dictionary because I know they won't understand every word written. It's going to be a good book to work on and I am looking forward to seeing the children's reactions. 


1 comment:

  1. I read this at primary school about a month or so before going to Robin Hood's Bay for a week on a trip and I must say that even then I found it rather contrived.

    The story for me was fine enough, as I admit there are limits to what horror you can use in this age group, but I think the items bought were my main issue. I won't go in to detail but even then I felt it too convenient.

    Saying that, and again from memory it did read well and was age appropriate without staying too bland.

    ReplyDelete