Monday 14 May 2012

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Oh My God! Read this book, drop what you are doing right now and go find this book. You need it in your life. I don't get excited about much but this is certainly well worth the words. Reading this was like a little bit of heaven had descended into the palm of my hands... Where shall I start?

Characters! Always a good place. Likable, flawed, complicated, and that's just the support cast! I cannot begin to describe the depths the protagonist in this story has. He is very far from perfect and the struggles he goes through are tough. He has good and bad points and is interesting to read about too. There is a lot to be learnt from Roland Deschain. The start of the novel introduces him only as The Gunslinger and in an interesting technique, his name is not learnt until a good third of the way through.

Writing: The writing in this book is perfect. It conjures some interesting emotions too, I ranged from disgusted, appalled and in parts, down right sick. I think the pleasure comes from reading so much average recently on finding a book like this it is a real treat.The building of tension in the first part of the novel begins from the moment you start reading and doesn't relent until it finally bursts into a whirlwind of action. The level of detail in some places is fantastic but what King leaves to the readers mind is what makes this a truly engaging novel.

Plot: I won't destroy the secrets of this novel for those of you that have not read the book yet. (I hope you do so) What I will say is that it is perfectly executed and moves with just the right amount of pace. I could keep up with it and never felt lost along the way. I've not read anything this good since Joe Abercrombie's 'First Law' Trilogy.

 From the first page I needed to know what happened, and I still do. I'm off to read the next book as soon as I have finished this blog! I don't have the words to describe how I felt on reading this novel except that I think I had a nerd-gasm while I read it... Read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment