Sunday 12 February 2012

Broken Dreams - Nick Quantrill



I’ll start this post off with a confession; I’m not a big reader of detective novels. My parents are but it was never really a genre I could get behind for one reason or another but when one of my colleagues at my new work mentioned her husband had a published book, I made it my job to give it a read.
The first thing that struck me was the story. There are two main arcs in the novel and you find yourself really wanting to know what happens. One is the murder of a successful woman and the other is the tracking down of a young woman for her mother who is dying of cancer. Both are interwoven together and the way the plot flings you is artfully done.
The story itself is set in the city of Hull, which is where I live, so it was nice to know the areas the author was talking about. He gets it spot on without ramming the topography of the city down the reader’s throat.
The characters are instantly likeable and you find yourself sympathising with them. You really do want them to win, even when the odds seem stacked against them. It can’t be an easy job being a private detective and this is shown so well throughout the novel.
The only stumbling block for me was, at times, the dialogue didn’t really match what was happening at the time. You’re told the character is angry, but the words he says don’t really reflect this. It’s only a minor point though and I think that as Nick writes more books, this will fade away.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in either Hull, or detective novels, or both. I look forward to reading his latest novel, which is out next month.

Next Review: In her Name: Empire – Michael R Hicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment